In a field on the outskirts of Cranborne village, there is a hill, and it has a door….
One of Dorset’s best kept secrets, the Earthouse is a 250-seat theatre – lit by lamplight and fire-light. Here audiences sit on wooden benches, under an earth roof, held up by 21 huge oak tree trunks… they come to listen to stories. The Ancient Technology Centre works with the Crick Crack Club to bring some of the finest contemporary performance storytellers to this fabulous off-beat venue – turning it into a cinema of the imagination.
‘I was spellbound – I don’t use the word lightly’ THE TIMES
At home during lockdown#1, we asked eight storytellers to film themselves telling the same fairytale – the Grimms version of the Juniper Tree. No scripts. No direction. Jen Percy Edwards of Corvus Pictures then edited them into this piece of magic. The result is hard core tough fairytale – full of death and resurrection. Watch it when you’re feeling strong…
12 & 13 JUN 2021 7.30PM BOOK NOW
Fairytales for Grown-ups – Orpheus Dismembered
by Ben Haggarty, with music by Jonah Brody
No remembering without forgetting…
No rebirth without death…
No ascent without descent…
These are the mysteries.
Storyteller Ben Haggarty, and musician Jonah Brody, become guides to the dark places of the underground … In this subterranean city of dreams hear the awe filled tale of Dionysus – born once from his mother and again from Zeus; wonder at the tragic tale of Orpheus who could only experience love through separation, and despair at the selfishness of the Sky Gods who bestow the chaos through which we must wade to find sense.
Tonight, Ben Haggarty reads between the lines of Greek Mythology to restores them to their terrifying and truly awesome glory. This is world-class storytelling – dark, magical and provocative.
Whatever you do – don’t look back…
‘BLOODY BRILLIANT’ Time Out
‘STORYTELLING GENIUS’ Brighton Fringe
LOCATION: Cranborne Earthouse, The Ancient Technology Centre, Damerham Road, Cranborne, BH21 5RP TICKETS: £10 per person, sold in bundles - on-line sales only: BOOK NOW TIME: 7.30pm (75 min show, no interval). Site opens 6pm SUITABLE FOR: Adults (16+) FOR OUR LATEST INFORMATION ABOUT EVENTS DURING COVID19, PLEASE CLICK HERE
- Wrap up warm, bring a cushion & wear sensible shoes! A torch might also come in handy!
- There is no bar on site, and we don’t (usually) have a license to sell you alcohol but you can bring your own and well supply hot spiced apple juice.
- We open the site at 6pm. If it’s sunny, please feel free to bring a picnic to eat in the grounds of the Earthouse (just don’t munch food while the show is on).
- Wheelchair access is weather dependent – please call the ATC on 01725 517 618 for advice. If you use a wheelchair please inform us when you buy a ticket so we can accommodate you in the venue safely.
- Shows are unsuitable for under 12s (unless otherwise stated).
- Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult, and may not be left to roam outside the venue while the show is on.
- We sometimes have (official) photographers discreetly taking pictures at these events if you don’t want to be in these pictures, then please let a member of staff know.
- The ATC is a no smoking site.
- No dogs are allowed on site we have some ancient breeds of sheep who live here, and they wouldn’t appreciate the company!
- The Ancient Technology Centre is located behind Cranborne Middle School. Turn off Damerham Road into Cranborne Middle School. Parking is in the school car-park. Walk up the road from the car-park to the Ancient Technology Centre, and follow the lane and then the twinkly lights and the candle lanterns (and all the other people!) to the doors of the Earthouse.
- General ticket queries & waiting lists: The Crick Crack Club 07791 157 437 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Queries about tickets already booked on-line: www.ticketsource.co.uk